Monday, June 28, 2010

My experience with Indian Biopharma - Part I

My experience with Biopharma doesn't go beyond couple of years. After completing my under-graduation in Biological Sciences & Bioengineering I chose to work for the 'Business Unit' of an Indian Pharmaceutical firm which focuses on manufacturing 'Biologic' products. I was then completely unaware of the term 'Biologics' which is popular amongst corporate sectors and is widely understood as 'vaccines, recombinant products which are produced by Bioprocesses including recombinant DNA technology, Upstream, Downstream etc.'

My journey in the corporate sector started on 14th July 2008 with 2 weeks of induction post which I was transferred to my Business Unit. A new concept of lab rotation was initiated in the unit to familiarize freshers with their work place. It was company's view at the new recruitments who wanted them to identify their area of interests by working in different domains for couple of months. It also served as a way for us to decide how we wanted to move along corporate ladders in long run.

I chose my stints keeping in mind the unique challenges which they may offer and at the same time provide comprehensive view of the company. I was partially successful with my attempt as:
(1) It took me some time to adjust with the corporate dynamics.
(2) There were certain domains such as finance, marketing, strategy which required more focus and attention

It was an interesting time when I started working on these stints as I came to know lot of people and understood their thoughts/ motivation behind working in the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment